I am a patient
How to use the Ellipta device: Step-by-step instructions
You do not need to prepare your Ellipta device in any special way, just follow these step-by-step instructions.
Once you tear open the foil packaging you should use your Ellipta inhaler within 6 weeks.
You should write the “Discard by” on the inhaler label in the space provided. The “Discard by” date will be 6 weeks from the date of opening the tray. After this date the inhaler should no longer be used. The tray can be discarded after first opening.
Your Ellipta inhaler contains a 30 dose supply and is to be used every day, one inhalation once daily at the same time each day. Do not use your Ellipta inhaler to relieve a sudden attack of breathlessness or wheezing. If you get this sort of attack you should use a quick-acting inhaler (such as salbutamol) and seek advice from your doctor.
Only open the cover once you are ready to take a dose. If you open and close the cover without inhaling the medicine, the dose will be lost.
- Slide the cover down until you hear a ‘click’
- While holding the inhaler away from your mouth, breathe out as far as is comfortable
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips, and close your lips firmly around it
- Take one long, steady, deep breath in and hold this breath for at least 3-4 seconds
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and breathe out slowly and gently
- Slide the cover upwards as far as it will go to cover the mouthpiece
- It is not necessary to clean the mouthpiece. If you choose to do so, always use a dry tissue
Video: How to use the Ellipta device
Watch our short video designed to support you in using your Ellipta device correctly. This page is specifically for patients who have been prescribed an Ellipta medicine. If you are not a patient, please return to the public website.
Other language options:
- You may not feel or taste the medicine, even if you have taken your medicine correctly.
- Do not shake the device, block the air vents with your fingers, or breathe out into the device.
- The dose counter will count down by one unit at a time. Remember to collect your new device before you run out of doses.
- If the dose counter does not count down as you hear the ‘click’, the device will not deliver the required dose. If this happens take your device back to the pharmacy.
- If you wish to clean the mouthpiece, wipe it with a dry tissue.
Always read the patient information leaflet. If you have any questions or are unsure about using your device please contact your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
How to care for, and replace your Ellipta inhaler
How do I care for my Ellipta inhaler?
Keep your medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the pack next to “EXP”. The date on here refers to the last day of that month.
Keep your inhaler in its original package to protect it from moisture. If you keep your Ellipta in the fridge, allow the inhaler to return to room temperature for at least an hour before use.
How do I replace my Ellipta inhaler?
You should be able to get a new Ellipta inhaler from your pharmacist if you have a prescription for it. Remember to collect your new prescription before the dose counter reaches 0, to make sure you don’t run out of medicine.
If your Ellipta inhaler gets broken or damaged, take it back to your pharmacist for advice.